As nonstopmama loves getting the expert scoop on up-against-the-clock beauty, we jumped at the chance to interview Chloë Butcher, nonstopmama and hotly sought after make-up artist. Chloë’s work has appeared in glossies including Marie Claire and ELLE and has graced countless international catwalks, pop videos and red carpets.
With two little girls to keep her on her toes (pictured), there’s not much Chloë doesn’t know about getting glowing when you’re going flat out. She also offers one-to-one beauty workshops – “the Make Up Makeover”, as part of the Velvet And Gold consultancy.
‘As with clothes, we like to wear less make up as temperatures get hotter,’ says Chloë. ‘Most women opt for the ever popular natural finish. The spring/summer 2010 shows were all about effortless grooming and, luckily, it is something that can be quickly and easily achieved. The key to this look is a fresh and glowing complexion, with flushed cheeks and natural eyes.’.
Here, Chloë’s shares her insider’s secrets for it’s-nearly-summer beauty with nonstopmama:
• Invest in a primer. It will not feel like a heavy extra layer, as they are designed to be very light and smooth. It will ensure that your make up will stay in place and not slip and slide when you are out in the heat.
• Try swapping your normal foundation for a tinted moisturiser. This will still give your skin coverage, but without feeling heavy or clogged when the sun hits your face.
• If you would like to use a foundation, try something light, sheer and waterproof, such as MAC’s Face and Body Foundation (£23).
• Bronzer makes your eyes look brighter, teeth whiter and gives your skin that holiday glow. Dust a powdered bronzer over the areas that the sun hits your face, such as forehead, cheek bones, nose and chin. Alternatively, use a cream bronze on the apples of your cheeks and blend softly up and out.
• Use a cream blush on your cheeks for a fresh, youthful look and a dusting of powder over the T-Zone.
• Curl your lashes and use a good waterproof mascara, such a Max Factor False Lash Effect, Waterproof (£10.99) in black.
• Finish the look with a gloss or sheer lipstick in nude, beige or pink tones.
• If you feel daring, apply a splash of colour to your eyes. Purple, yellow or pink are fun and playful and look great on tanned skin.
• Keep a water spray in your handbag, to freshen and revive you.
For more on Chloë”s professional work, visit her fab site at chloebutcher.com. Find out about one-to-one make-up consultations, go to velvetandgold.co.uk.